Monday, June 18, 2012

Final post for Aaron

We're back! We've had three weeks of adventure, learning, and fun and it almost seems surreal being back. This trip has been one of the most exciting and educational experiences of my life; there really is no one word I can use to describe it properly, but I'll try anyway.. eye-opening. I saw so much in our short time there but so little in comparison to all there is to see.

The academic portion of this course has been more than I could have ever hoped for. I got experience in planning, creating an experimental design....reworking the experimental design, sampling, and analyzing data. For the region itself, we learned about the biological and geologic history and how interconnected they are. For instance, the closure of the gap (via the creation of the Panama isthmus) had significant effects not only on the marine environment, but also on the continental exchange of species between North and South America. In addition to learning a lot in our lectures, field talks, and research, I also got a crash course in local culture. We learned all kinds of new phrases and words and got to try many new types of food, including my favorite, chicheme, which is very interesting drink/shake made with corn, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.

This has definitely been one of the most entertaining and rewarding experiences of my life. It was the perfect combination of education, field work, and fun and if asked again, I would go in a heartbeat. I would like to thank Dr. Herzfeld and Dr. Judkins for not only the opportunity to go on this trip, but also the continued support, advice, and mentoring they've given every day since.

Till next time,

-aaron


No comments:

Post a Comment