Friday, June 15, 2012

Trip of a Lifetime


The only word for me that can begin to describe this trip would be extraordinary. The opportunities to experience the culture and natural wonders of Panama and Costa Rica that were afforded to the lucky 14 of us on this trip are things that some people never get the chance to do in a lifetime. In a three week period we ventured through a wide range of habitats, from active volcanoes to tropical rainforests and coral reefs. We hiked to the summit of an active volcano, saw two oceans, watched a leatherback turtle lay her nest, ate delicious local food and much more. Overall, this trip has pushed me to go outside of my comfort zone and resulted in much growth, not only as a scientist but as a person as well.

This trip was 21 straight days of learning, being immersed in the field of science. So, to pick only three things I learned is a rather difficult task but I will focus on the main topics. First, I learned that plants are a lot more difficult to identify than you think. There is an entire vocabulary dedicated to the structure, texture and scent of plants. Is a plant pinnate or palmate? Is it a compound leaf or a simple leaf? What technically defines a leaf? All questions that Kelly and I had to ask and learn along our journey. It gave me a great appreciation for the botany field and actually has made me want to take a class! The next thing I learned was the formation of Panama and how it acts as a land bridge between North and South America, allowing for the exchange of plants and animals. Panama was originally a peninsula that was created by volcanic activity as the Cocos plate was being subducted under the Caribbean plate.     When Panama and Costa Rica merged together, forming an isthmus, there was a buckling and a stretching of Panama which allowed for the formation of the canal. The final topic I learned a lot about on this trip was the formation of coral reefs and their different zones as well as the types of organisms that inhabit each of these zones. For example, hard, sturdy corals, like brain coral, inhabit the reef face and buttress zone because they can withstand the high wave action. Or, soft, delicate corals like sea fans and staghorn coral that  are found in lower energy zones like the lagoon and flat top sections. Oh, and perhaps the most important thing I learned... science isn't perfect and researching make mistakes all the time. What is important is to learn from the errors and utilize all of the resources that are available to you.

In closing, I have learned so much from this trip. It is hard to even put into words the experience, and I am sure it will take months for me to truly understand the impact this trip had on me as a student and fledgling scientist. Thank you for the opportunity Dr. J and Dr. H! BGPG 2012!

Pura Vida,
Karleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment